Saturday 10 December 2011

K is for Kate who was struck with an axe.

With his gothic graphics and twisted sense of humor, Edward Gorey was one hell of an artist. His dark, gloomy pieces of work, where little children suffer everything from being abducted and fed to sharks to being squashed under a train, are terryfying and thrilling at the same time. I remember buying my first Edward Gorey book at a country inn in Rajasthan back in 5th grade and ever since, I am on a collecting spree.

He never married or involved in any sort of romantic liasons EVER which makes me weirdly proud of him.
Once, during an interview he was pressed about his sexual orientation and this is what he said -

I'm neither one thing nor the other particularly. I am fortunate in that I am apparently reasonably undersexed or something...I've never said that I was gay and I've never said that I wasn't...what I'm trying to say is that I am a person before I am anything else....
He agreed that the "sexlessness" of his novels was a product of his asexuality. One person who came and went without love and still managed to do something commendable. He is such a perfect idol.
I really think I write about everyday life. I don’t think I’m quite as odd as others say I am. Life is intrinsically, well, boring and dangerous at the same time. At any given moment the floor may open up. Of course, it almost never does; that’s what makes it so boring.
-Edward Gorey.
File:Gorey28.jpg










And you wouldn't want to miss
this.

1 comment: